Subscribe:

Monday 2 January 2012

Offline Gmail app : Checking mails without net



Google's new software for using Gmail without an Internet connection comes across as a throwback to an era when we weren't connected all the time and on all sorts of devices, from smartphones to iPads.
These days, if I need to read or write an email when I'm not at a regular computer, I can usually do so on my phone. Wi-Fi is also plentiful -even on planes and trains- when I need to catch up on messaging using my laptop.
But I found myself lacking both options during a recent trip . Fortunately, Google recently came out with Offline Google Mail, software that lets me use Gmail while disconnected. Messages that I write, delete or move to a folder - or label, as Gmail calls it - get synced with my Gmail account the next time I'm online. I can also read messages that had been sent to me before going offline.
Indeed ran into a few problems :
1. The key problem is that messages stored offline sometimes disappears. That included an email I had composed to send later. As a result, I wasn't able to depend on the software to retrieve notes that I had stored as email messages, nor was I able to respond to a number of emails that went missing.
2. It typically keeps only messages from the past three days and sometimes up to a week. Drafts and messages marked with a star are always stored, but you have to remember to do that in the short time you might have online.


MAIN PUNCH HERE IN COMPARISON TO IT'S COMPETITORS :->
Standalone email software such as Thunderbird also lets you read and write messages while offline, but you need to open the software to sync. You also need to know how to set it up for Gmail, while there's no need to configure anything for Offline Google Mail.
So , happy mailing................

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like